- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 6-8 cloves garlic minced
- 6 cups vegetable broth (or stock)
- 15 ounces (420 g) can diced tomatoes, drained*
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon Italian dried herbs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 (15 ounce) cans white beans (cannellini beans), drained and rinsed
- 4 cups baby spinach (about 6 ounces)
- 3/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese (for serving)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- In a large pot or saucepan, heat olive over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook until onions are translucent and garlic is fragrant (about 2-3 minutes), while stirring occasionally. Add in the broth, tomatoes, sugar, Italian herbs, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes to combine all of the flavours together.
- Stir in the beans and spinach. Continue to simmer gently until the spinach has wilted, (about 2 minutes).
- Take off heat. Stir through the parmesan cheese. Taste test, adjust salt and pepper if needed. Serve immediately.
*Substitute canned tomatoes for 3 fresh tomatoes, diced
Calories: 94kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 11mg | Sodium: 360mg | Potassium: 198mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1695IU | Vitamin C: 10.3mg | Calcium: 179mg | Iron: 1.2mg