- 225g dark chocolate
- ChocolateChocolate chok-o-let
- Chocolate as we know it in pressed…, 70% cocoa solids
- 175g unsalted butter , chopped, diced
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp instant coffee powder or extract
- 100g toasted almonds
- 2 heaped tbsp plain flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 5 eggs
- 140g golden caster sugar
- 12 fresh or defrosted frozen raspberries, plus about 40 more for decoration
- 4 tbsp raspberry jam
For the glaze
- 140g dark chocolate, 70% cocoa solids, chopped
- 100ml double cream
- icing sugar and sweet vanilla cream, to serve
- Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Line the bases of two 23cm cake tins with baking parchment. Melt the chocolate and butter in the microwave; leave to cool. Stir in the vanilla and coffee powder.
- Whizz the almonds in a food processor until finely ground, then add flour and salt, and transfer to a bowl. Whisk the eggs with an electric mixer for 5 mins, until doubled in volume. Slowly add the sugar, whisk for 1 min more. Fold in the cooled chocolate mixture until just combined. Sprinkle over half the flour mixture and fold in, then the other half. The mixture will be rather runny.
- Divide between the two tins and bake for about 15 mins until a skewer comes out with a few crumbs attached – the sponges should be slightly undercooked. Cool in tin, then turn out onto a wire rack.
- Choose the less perfect of the two, then set it on a serving plate. Mash 12 raspberries and stir in the jam. Spread on the base, then top with the other cake.
- For the glaze, bring the cream to the boil, pour it over the chocolate and whisk until smooth. Leave for a few mins until starting to thicken, then spread over the top and sides to cover. Decorate with raspberries. Chill for up to 24 hrs. Remove from fridge 1 hr before serving, dust with icing sugar, and serve with vanilla cream.
This article and recipe adapted from this site