- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 pound 500 grams rib eye or scotch fillet steak, cut into 1-inch pieces (trimmed of visible fat)
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 2 large carrots peeled and diced
- 1 small green cabbage chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 6 cups beef stock or broth
- 3 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley plus more to serve
- 2 teaspoons each dried thyme and dried rosemary (or dried basil and oregano)
- 2 teaspoons onion or garlic powder
- Salt and freshly-cracked black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-heat, add the beef and sear one all sides until browned all over (they don’t need to be cooked through). Then add the onions and cook until transparent (about 3-4 minutes).
- Add the celery and carrots to the pan, mixing through the flavours in the pot. Cook while mixing occasionally for about 3-4 minutes, then add the cabbage and cook for a further 5 minutes until beginning to soften; add in the garlic, and cook until fragrant (about 1 minute), mixing all ingredients through.
- Add the stock (or broth), parsley, dried herbs, and onion or garlic powder; mixing well. Bring to a simmer; reduce heat to medium-low and cover, with a lid.
- Allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the cabbage and carrots are soft. Season with salt and pepper, and add in a little extra dried herbs, if needed.
- Serve warm with a sprinkle of fresh parsley (if desired).
Cabbage Soup can be refrigerated once cooled in air tight containers for up to 3 days, or frozen for up to 2 months.
Calories: 177kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 34mg | Sodium: 748mg | Potassium: 250mg | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 3485IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 22mg | Iron: 1.5mg