- 1 large head cauliflower (about 2 pounds OR 1 kilo), cut into florets
- 1 large onion sliced or chopped
- 6 cloves garlic smashed with the back of a knife (or minced)
- Salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 cups (40 ounces) chicken stock or broth (substitute with vegetable stock)
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped parsley, thyme or rosemary
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or thickened cream
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives or green onions
- 1/2 cup diced bacon pre-cooked (to serve)
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese cheddar, mozzarella, provolone, parmesan, gruyere
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Lightly grease a large rimmed baking sheet. Combine cauliflower, onion and garlic on the baking sheet. Season with a generous amount of salt and pepper. Toss with olive oil until evenly coated in oil.
- Arrange in a single layer. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Toss the cauliflower through the onions and garlic, then return to the oven and bake for a further 10-15 minutes until the cauliflower is caramelized on the edges and fork-tender.
- Transfer cauliflower to a pot. Add stock* and herbs. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring occasionally for 15 minutes to let the flavours blend.
- When cauliflower is soft, remove from the heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Carefully transfer the soup to a blender, working in batches if necessary, taking care to let the steam escape (cover escaping steam with a kitchen towel). Alternatively, purée with an immersion blender.
- Add the cream and blend until smooth. Taste test and add extra salt and pepper seasoning, if needed, then blend again.**
- To serve, top bowls of soup with cooked bacon, shredded cheese and chopped chives or green onion.
*For EXTRA THICK soup, only add 4 cups of stock instead of 5 when boiling. **If the soup is too thick for your liking, stir in additional chicken broth, cream or milk until desired consistency is reached. HOW TO STORE CAULIFLOWER SOUP Store in the refrigerator, covered, for up to three days. Freeze in airtight containers for up to 3 months.
Serving: 1bowl | Calories: 215kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 22mg | Sodium: 377mg | Potassium: 686mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 175IU | Vitamin C: 71.3mg | Calcium: 78mg | Iron: 1.1mg