This Healthy Chocolate Mug Cake is INCREDIBLE! Easy and ultra moist with a molten, gooey center. Made with peanut butter, Greek yogurt, and dark chocolate, this lighter version of chocolate cake in a mug cooks in just 90 seconds in the microwave.
- 2 tablespoons white whole wheat flour — or GF 1:1 All Purpose Baking Blend
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt — a good pinch
- 3 tablespoons milk — any kind you like (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 2 tablespoons nonfat plain Greek yogurt — use nondairy yogurt to make dairy free; I haven’t tried mashed banana or unsweetened applesauce but think this could work too
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter — almond butter, or other nut butter of choice
- 2 tablespoons dark or semisweet chocolate chips — for an extra fudgy cake, add 1 additional tablespoon
- Optional toppings for serving: vanilla frozen yogurt — nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt, whipped cream, extra chocolate chips, a dollop of extra nut butter
- In the bottom of a 12-ounce microwave-safe mug, stir together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Add the milk, Greek yogurt, maple syrup, and almond butter. With a fork, stir until smoothly combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Place the mug on a paper towel in the microwave to catch any drips. Microwave on HIGH for 90 seconds, just until a toothpick inserted near the edge comes out with a few moist crumbs clinging to it. The center will be batter-like and molten. Do not over microwave or the cake will be dry. It may take a little experimenting, depending upon the power of your microwave and width of your mug. Wider mugs will cook more quickly, while taller, narrower mugs may need a little more time. Let cool at least 3 full minutes (the cake will continue to cook a bit as it cools, and the cake will be very hot). Add any desired toppings. DEVOUR.
Recipe adapted from Well Plated Chocolate Mug Cake