- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onions
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/4 pounds (1 kg) asparagus, woody ends trimmed, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black cracked pepper
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup heavy cream, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Fresh chopped chives or green onions, to garnish
- Heat butter and oil together in a pot over medium heat until butter is melted. Sauté the onions until soft while stirring frequently, about 4 minutes. Sauté the garlic until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the chopped asparagus, season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes until just starting to change colour.
- Pour in the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover with lid. Simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are very tender.
- Use an immersion blender or regular blender to puree soup. If using a regular blender, stop and remove lid a couple of times to let some steam out and avoid overheating.
- Return soup to pot and let simmer, uncovered. Stir in cream and cheese. Taste test and adjust salt and pepper, if needed. Let simmer until thickened.
- Garnish with fresh chopped chives or green onions, extra cream and cracked black pepper.
Calories: 296kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 11g