- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 28 oz (790 g) diced tomatoes (or 6 fresh vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped)
- 2 teaspoons Italian dried herbs, (or seasoning)
- 1/2-1 teaspoon red chili flakes (optional)
— adjust to suit your taste
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 28 oz (790 g) jar tomato puree (Passata)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 9oz (250 g) packet cheese tortellini (I use dried not fresh; choose any flavour you like)
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves, washed and dried
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, roughly torn or chopped
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Sauté onion until soft, then add garlic and sauté until fragrant (about 1 minute).
- Add tomatoes, Italian herbs (or seasoning) and chili flakes if using. Let tomatoes cook for about 5 minutes until juices have released and mixed through the flavours in the pot, then mix through chicken stock, tomato puree and tomato paste.
- Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Partially cover pot with a lid; bring to a simmer on low heat for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the cream and tortellini, cook on medium-low until tortellini is just cooked, (about 6-7 minutes). Add the parmesan cheese, spinach and basil; stir until wilted. Serve warm.
Calories: 278kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 12g | Iron: 5mg