- 3 chicken breasts, about 1lb each
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper, to taste
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 package pepperoni slices
- 2 1/2 cups (about 10 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 1/2 cups marinara sauce
- Italian seasoning, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Butterfly the chicken breasts and season with salt and pepper, inside and out.
- Open each chicken breast, and add 1 teaspoon of minced garlic to each one. Spread it evenly.
- Add about 5-6 pepperoni slices to each butterflied chicken breast on top of the garlic.
- Add about 1/4 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese to each chicken breast.
- Close the chicken over tightly, and transfer the chicken breasts to a lightly greased baking dish.
- Pour the marinara over top of the chicken and into the dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella cheese, followed by the Italian seasoning, over the chicken.
- Top the dish with the remaining pepperoni slices.
- Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is tender and fully cooked.
- You can also broil the top layer, for the last 5 minutes of baking. Watch it closely to not burn it.
This article and recipe adapted from this site