- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped or minced
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour (or plain flour)
- 2 cups good-quality low sodium chicken stock
- 3 cups half-and-half, (or evaporated milk or regular milk)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, or more to your taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper, or more to your taste
- 1 teaspoon vegetable stock powder (or chicken bouillon powder)
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pound (500 grams) broccoli florets, cut into small pieces
- 2 large carrots, peeled and grated
- 2 cups low fat sharp cheddar cheese
- Melt the butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Fry the onion until fragrant (about 2 minutes). Add in the garlic and cook for a further minute. Whisk in the flour and cook for a few minutes or until golden brown.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and slowly pour in the chicken stock and half-and-half, stirring well to combine and dissolve the flour into the liquid. Season with salt and pepper, stock powder, mustard powder and garlic powder. Give it a good mix and allow to cook and thicken for about 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add in the broccoli and carrots and gently simmer for another 20 minutes, until broccoli is completely tender. Mix in cheese and stir until just combined. Taste test and add in extra salt and/or pepper, if desired.
- Serve with bread rolls!
For an even thicker consistency, mix 1-2 tablespoons of cornstarch with 3 tablespoons of water or milk, and add to the soup when it’s simmering. Mix through well and allow to thicken.
Calories: 249kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 41mg | Sodium: 617mg | Potassium: 322mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 3745IU | Vitamin C: 54.2mg | Calcium: 157mg | Iron: 1mg