This Easy and deliciously creamy rice pudding (arroz con leche) is a no fail one pot recipe with minimal ingredients and only 3 steps! an old reader favourite.
Creamy, soft rice pudding filled with a hint of vanilla and cinnamon and juicy sultanas (raisins). The ultimate comfort food! Find out how to make old fashioned rice pudding right at home with our popular family recipe.
- 6 cups milk, (full fat, low fat or skim)
- 1 cup medium grain rice
- 1/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (or 1 cinnamon stick)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup raisins (or sultanas) (optional)
- 1/2 cup condensed milk (optional)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (optional)
- Combine the milk, rice, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and raisins (sultanas) in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, mixing occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally while scraping the base and sides of the pan with a wooden spoon, until thick and creamy (about 15-20 minutes).
- Once rice is soft and cooked through, mix in the condensed milk and butter. Add 1/4 cup extra milk ONLY if needed to achieve your desired consistency.
- Pour the rice among serving bowls; sprinkle with extra ground cinnamon (or cinnamon sugar), and raisins (or sultanas).
- Serve immediately.