Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
Prep Time10 mins Cook Time20 mins Course: Main Course, Soup Cuisine: Mexican Keyword: Chicken Tortilla Soup, Instant Pot Diet: Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Keto, Paleo, Whole30 Servings: 6 Calories: 313kcal Author: Lisa Wells
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 3 celery stalks diced
- 3 carrots dices
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 10-ounce can diced tomatoes plain
- 1 10-ounce can diced tomatoes with jalepeno *see note
- 3 cups chicken stock
- coarse sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 pound boneless chicken thighs
For tortilla strips
- cassava flour tortillas
- avocado oil spray
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- fresh cilantro for garnish
- Saute onion, celery, and carrots in oil in Instant Pot set to saute low until soft and starting to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and chili powder. Stir and cook 2 – 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, stock, salt and pepper. Add chicken thighs and set Instant Pot to pressure cook on high pressure for 20 minutes.
- Shred chicken and stir back into the soup.
To make tortilla strips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place tortillas on the baking sheet in a single layer. Using a pizza cutter, cut the tortilla into 1/2-inch wide strips. Spray the top with avocado oil.
- Bake until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve the soup topped with tortilla strips, avocado slices, lime wedges, and fresh cilantro.
For a low carb, keto, and Whole30 option, skip the tortilla strips. Raw jicama sticks are a good substitute for crunch. *You can substitute plain diced tomatoes and add fresh diced jalapeno to taste. Saute the jalapeno with the vegetables in step 1.
Calories: 313kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 78mg | Sodium: 292mg | Potassium: 652mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 5688IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 43mg | Iron: 1mg