These Paleo and Whole30 Instant Pot carnitas have me making all the heart eyes! All of them. So so yummy and the pork comes out super tender, juicy and flavorful! Even if you aren’t trying to eat Paleo, Whole30 or gluten-free, you’ll still go crazy over these Instant Pot pork carnitas.
- 2 pounds pork shoulder or butt, cubed
- 2 teaspoons smoked salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 white onion, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 cup broth
- Press Sauté function on instant pot. Once hot, add pork butt and brown on all sides for about 10 minutes. Add all of the rest of the ingredients and mix well to combine. Press cancel, secure lid, close off pressure valve then press manual to high pressure and press the up button until the time hits 30 minutes. Once time is up, let the pressure release on its own for 20 minutes, then remove lid.
- When the instant pot is slow releasing, turn oven on to broiler.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the fall-apart meat and onions, and place on a baking sheet. Use two fork to pull apart the meat slightly. Squeeze fresh lime juice on top and place under the broiler to cook for just a few minutes or until the pork begins to brown and crisp.
- Garnish with fresh lime wedges and cilantro before serving