Classic Brioche Bread Recipe
Brioche is a lightly sweet yeast bread enriched with eggs and butter which give the bread a tender crumb. It’s wonderful for French Toast.
For the Brioche Bread:
1%, 2% or whole milk
active dry yeast
(platinum works best)
melted and slightly cooled (plus more to grease pan and bowl)
For the Egg Wash:
Make the Brioche Dough:
In a measuring cup, stir together 3/4 cup warm milk (105-110˚F on a thermometer) with 1 tsp sugar. Stir in 1 Tbsp yeast and let it rest 10 minutes to proof the yeast (a foamy layer will form at the top to indicate yeast is active).
- In a separate mixing bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer, combine 3 eggs, 4 Tbsp melted and cooled butter, 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tsp salt. Whisk together until blended then stir in proofed yeast mixture.
- Using the dough hook attachment on speed 2, or a wooden spoon, add flour 1 cup at a time, allowing it to incorporate with each addition. Add the last 1/2 cup of flour 1 Tablespoon at a time until the dough is no longer sticking to the sides of the mixing bowl and does not stick to clean, dry fingertips. Continue to knead by hand or in a stand mixer for 8 -10 minutes.
- Transfer dough to a large buttered bowl and turn to coat in butter. Cover with plastic wrap and let proof in a warm place (100-110˚F) for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until doubled in volume.
Braid and Form Bread:
- Turn dough out onto a clean surface and divide the dough into 4 equal pieces. Roll each piece into 18 to 20” lengths and arrange them side by side vertically. Pinch the 4 pieces together at the top.
To braid the Brioche: Cross the far right strip over its neighbor. Tuck the far left strip under its neighbor and over the next strip. Repeat this process until you finish the braid then pinch together the other end to seal and keep it from unraveling.
- Butter a large baking sheet and place the braided bread on your buttered pan. Cover loosely with a kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes or at room temperature for 1 hour, until visibly puffed.
Egg Wash and Bake:
- In a separate dish, beat together 1 egg and 1 tsp water. Once the braid has puffed up, brush with egg wash and sprinkle on poppy seeds if using.
- Bake in the center of a preheated oven at 375˚F for 25-28 minutes tor until top is golden brown. Cool to room temperature before slicing.