Make-Ahead Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches
Make-Ahead Freezer Breakfast sandwiches are a hearty and satisfying breakfast for early working days and school mornings. They are also ideal for camping trips! This recipe comes together fast and is easy to scale up or down.
- 8 eggs (large)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp sea salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese shredded or your favorite cheese
- 6 English muffins
- 2 Tbsp butter plus more to grease the pan
- 4 oz Monterey Jack Cheese (6 slices) or your favorite cheese
- 8 oz Black Forest Ham (12 slices) or your favorite deli meat
In a large mixing bowl, combine 8 eggs, 1/4 cup milk, 1 Tbsp sour cream, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper and whisk thoroughly. Stir in 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Pour mixture into buttered 9×13 casserole and bake at 350˚F for 18-20 minutes or until fluffy and not wet on top when poked with your fingertips. Remove from the oven cool 10-15 min in the pan then cut into 6 equal squares or use a large round cookie cutter to cut out 6 circles.
Set the oven to broil on high heat. Cut English muffins into halves and butter the cut side and place cut side up on a rimmed baking sheet. Broil in the center of the oven for 2-4 minutes or until the tops are golden and lightly crisp. Remove from the oven and lightly cool while preparing toppings.
- Assemble the breakfast sandwiches with the bottom bun first, then the egg, followed by a slice of cheese, 2 slices of ham and finally the top bun.
Wrap tightly in plastic wrap (or in aluminum foil if using for camping) then place in a large freezer-safe ziploc bag and refrigerate up to 1 week or freeze up to 2 months.
To Reheat Breakfast Sandwiches:
*From frozen: remove plastic wrap, place on a paper towel and microwave 3 min on high, (turning halfway) or until warmed through.
*From thawed: thaw overnight in refrigerator, remove plastic wrap, and microwave on paper towel-lined plate 1 min or just until hot.
*For camping – thaw sandwich, keep tightly wrapped in heavy-duty aluminum foil and place onto grill or over campfire for 3-5 min.