A dẹlicious Glutẹn-Frẹẹ Chickẹn Pot Piẹ madẹ from scratch using chickẹn, carrots, onion, pẹas and a crẹamy, smooth gravy likẹ saucẹ. This glutẹn frẹẹ chickẹn pot piẹ usẹs my Glutẹn Frẹẹ Piẹ Crust rẹcipẹ. It’s simplẹ to makẹ and you can add your favoritẹ vẹggiẹs, or choppẹd Roastẹd Rẹd Potatoẹs to mix it up. If you’rẹ morẹ of a biscuit pẹrson you’ll want to makẹ my Glutẹn Frẹẹ Chickẹn and Biscuits.
FOR THE CRUST (MAKES TWO 10″ CRUSTS, ENOUGH FOR ONE LARGE POT PIE, OR 6 SMALL POT PIES) :
- 3 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour blend
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (omit if using salted butter)
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum (omit if you use a blend that has xanthan)
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks), cold – cut into small pieces
- 8-10 tablespoons milk, cold
FOR THE FILLING:
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves – cubed
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh yellow or white onion
- 1/3 cup all purpose gluten-free flour blend (or 3 tablespoons corn starch)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 2/3 cup milk
- For the crust- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour,salt, and xanthan gum.
- With a pastry knife (or a knife and fork), cut butter into flour until butter is the size of small peas.
- Add milk and combine. Add additional milk if needed. You may need to use your hands to work the milk into the dough.
- Dough should be moist and easy to roll.
- Divide dough in half and roll each ball of dough out on a gluten-free floured surface with a rolling pin until approximately 10-inches in diameter. Alternatively, roll dough between two pieces of wax paper.
- Place one circle of dough into the pie pan and trim edges if necessary.
- For the filling- In a medium saucepan, combine chicken, carrots and peas. Add water to cover and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from the pan and drain; set aside. If you are using precooked chicken, cook the peas and carrots, then add in the cooked chicken after draining.
- In the same saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent.
- Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk.
- Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place the chicken and veggie mixture in bottom pie crust, filing about half way. Pour the gravy mixture over the top and fill about 3/4 of the way.
- Cover with top crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough. Cut small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
- Cool for 15 minutes before serving.
- Jump To full instructions and recipe notes >> Read more…
Recipe adapted from glutenfreepalate