Cauliflower Quinoa Vegetarian Meatless Meatballs in Coconut Turmeric Broth – A succulent vegetarian dinner idea and a great way to try some new spices.
For the Meatless Meatballs
- 8oz cauliflower rice (about 2 cups, see note)
- 1 cup cooked quinoa, cold
- 1 cup fresh chopped cilantro or parsley
- 1/2 cup flour (you can use any kind here)
- 2 eggs, beaten ( see note below for a vegan option)
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp Frontier Allspice powder
- 1/2 tsp Frontier Organic Ground Vietnamese Cinnamon
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil (to pan fry the meatballs)
For the Coconut Turmeric Sauce
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin (about 2 cups)
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1″ fresh ginger root, grated ( about 2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 tsp Frontier Organic Fair Trade Certified Ground Turmeric Root
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp Frontier Cracked Black Pepper
- 1/8 tsp Aleppo Pepper or red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 cup canned full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth or water
- 2 tbsp lime or lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Combine all the meatball ingredients (except the vegetable oil for pan frying) in a large bowl and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes
- In the meantime, prepare the sauce. In a large skillet, heat olive oil. Add onions and cook over medium high heat for 7-8 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic and ginger and cook for another 2 minutes. Add turmeric, salt, black and Aleppo pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes
- Add coconut milk, lime juice and vegetable broth and let it simmer for 5-7 minutes
- Add chopped cilantro, remove from heat and set aside
- To prepare the meatballs, heat the vegetable oil in a separate skillet. Working with 1 heaping tablespoon of mixture at a time, form about 22 meatballs. Arrange them in the skillet and cook over medium heat, 2-3 minutes per side. Set aside
- Before serving, place the meatballs in the sauce and simmer for 10 minutes (if the sauce has thickened too much, you can add a little water to get the desired consistency)
- Serve warm over rice or quinoa.
- You can buy cauliflower rice at most grocery stores. You can also make your own by chopping cauliflower in a food processor.
- Make sure quinoa is cool before making the meatless cauliflower meatballs.
- To make these meatless meatballs vegan , replace each egg for 1 tbsp ground flax seeds + 3 tbsp water. Mix ground flax and water well and let sit for 5 minutes before adding to meatless meatball mixture.