Hawaiian Macaroni Salad is so fabulously creamy and simple. This mayonnaise-based pasta salad makes a wonderful side for summer bbqs and picnics.
- 16 ounces elbow pasta
- 1/4 cup grated onion
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 shredded carrots
- salt and pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add 1 tablespoons kosher salt. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Place onion in a large bowl. When pasta is done, drain it well and add it to the bowl. Add garlic powder and apple cider vinegar and stir. Let sit 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, milk, and sugar.
- Set aside about 1/2 a cup and add the rest to the macaroni along with carrots. Stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate both the bowl of macaroni salad and the reserved 1/2 a cup of mayonnaise mixture. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Stir in the reserved mayonnaise mixture just before serving.
Be sure not to overcook your pasta or it will have a mushy texture. If you to dress it up some, add diced ham or chopped pineapple.