The unofficial kickoff to summer is here with the long 3 day Memorial weekend and we are so excited! We still have 4 weeks left of school, but today we are sharing with you how to make gel air fresheners that will make any room smell like a tropical paradise!
How to Make Gel Air Fresheners
These DIY air fresheners take about 5 minutes to make! How’s that for easy? Today we made a tropical scented air freshener. We love going to the beach and vacationing in tropical areas like Hawaii and Mexico. This air freshener is a blend of these two fragrances. We used Tahitian Vanilla (found here) and Pineapple (found here). I love that they only cost about $3 each!
What is a gel air freshener?
Gel air fresheners are able to scent the air for a long time because gelatin holds its shape and the fragrance in it. You can purchase pre-made gel air fresheners in a variety of fragrances, but for a fraction of the price you can make your own air freshener in any fragrance you desire.
We think that this DIY air freshener would be a neat gift for friends, family, or neighbors too. You could add some fabric over the frog cover, tie some dried flowers onto the side, or even wrap the up in clear cellophane for a beautiful gift.
Remember that the fragrance can change all year long! Make a pumpkin spice gel air freshener for the fall and a sugar cookie scented gel air freshener for Christmas.
Here are some additional fragrance oils we recommend: apple pie, pumpkin spice, cinnamon, sugar cookie, coconut
More Bath and Body Crafts:
More homemade air freshener ideas by Smart School House
You Will Need
- 4 oz mason jars (this recipe will fill exactly 2 jars). I got mine at Michaels but you can order them here online also.
- Frog lids for the mason jars
- Mixing Bowl
- 2 packets of gelatin powder (found near the baking supplies at any grocery store)
- Measuring cup
- Food coloring (optional)
- Fragrance oil or essential oils of choice!
- In the mixing bowl, combine 1/2 cup of hot water and the 2 packets of gelatin powder
- Stir right away until the powder is dissolved
- Add food coloring until desire shade is reached. It can be left clear too!
- Pour 1/2 cup of very cold water in the bowl
- Mix the cold and hot water together until completely combined
- Add 1-2 teaspoons of fragrance
- Pour the liquid evenly into the 2 jars
- Place the frog lid on top of the jar, remove the flat canning lid that comes with the jar, and tighten the frog lid in place.
- Let the jar sit in a cool place until it “sets” (about an hour or two)
- Place the jars around your home to make any room smell great!