Layered Taco Salad has all the flavors of tacos piled on top of each other in a trifle dish. It’s easy to make ahead for a potluck or party and it will feed a huge crowd. So many great flavors are combined and with just a few substitutions, you can make this salad low carb.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, washed, dried and chopped
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (12-ounce) bag frozen corn, cooked and cooled
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 cup shredded Pepper Jack, cheddar cheese, or a Mexican blend
- 1 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 1/3 cup sliced black olives
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 cup crushed Doritos or Tortilla chips
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Brown ground beef in a large nonstick pan, breaking it apart as it cooks. When there is no more pink left, add the water and taco seasoning. Cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes. Let cool. Note: If there is a lot of grease, drain some off before adding the water and taco seasoning.
- In a 3-quart glass bowl or trifle dish, layer the iceberg lettuce, the bean, corn, and cucumbers.
- Spread the cooled taco meat on top of the cucumbers.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the sour cream, salsa, and lime juice. Spread on top of the ground beef.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of sour cream mixture.
- Make circles of tomato, black olives, red onion, and avocado.
- Top with crushed Doritos and cilantro.
- Serve right away or chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.