- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 medium carrots peeled and chopped
- 6 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 zucchini chopped
- 10 oz (300 g) fresh green beans sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 10 oz (300 g) cauliflower florets
- 4 cups chopped cabbage leaves, washed (about 1/4 of a head)
- 2 quarts (2 litres) low sodium beef stock (chicken or vegetable broth may be used)
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon powder, (chicken or vegetable may be used)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (if desired — adjust to your heat preference)
- 1 teaspoon salt to season
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups loosely packed spinach leaves washed
- 1/4 cup packed chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Heat the olive oil in large, heavy-bottomed stockpot over medium-low heat. Once hot, add the onion, carrots and celery. Sauté until they begin to soften, about 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Then add the zucchini and green beans and continue to cook for 4 to 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Throw in the cauliflower and cabbage leaves. Add the stock, increase the heat to high, and bring to a simmer. Once simmering, season with the buillion and cayenne. Taste test and season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until the vegetables are fork tender, about 20 minutes. Add the spinach leaves and stir through until wilted.
- Remove from heat and add the parsley and lemon juice.
- Adjust seasonings. Serve immediately.
Calories: 124kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 533mg | Potassium: 505mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 4320IU | Vitamin C: 20.9mg | Calcium: 62mg | Iron: 1.6mg