Martha Washington Candy has a pecan and coconut center covered in chocolate. This old-fashioned favorite is perfect for holiday gift giving.
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 (14-ounce) bag sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 1/3 cups powdered sugar, may need more
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening
- In a large bowl, mix together the sweetened condensed milk, melted butter, coconut, powdered sugar, and pecans. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Shape into 1-inch balls and place an a baking sheet lined with wax paper. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Place the chocolate and shortening in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Heat over low heat, stirring frequently until smooth.
- Take about 10 balls out of the refrigerator at a time. One at a time dip them into the chocolate, lifting them out with a fork so the excess chocolate can drip down. Place them on wax paper.