Mint Julep Jello Shots are just the thing to get your Kentucky Derby Partys started. They have all the flavors of a Mint Julep: bourbon, mint, and sugar, plus a dollop of mint-flavored whipped cream on top.
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 (1/4-ounce) packet unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed mint leaves
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 12 (2-ounce) plastic cups
Mint Whipped Cream
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon creme de menthe or 1/2 teaspoon mint extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons powdered sugar
- 12 mint leaves for garnish
- Place a medium bowl in the refrigerator.
- Place water in a small saucepan. Sprinkle gelatin on top and let soften for 5 minutes.
- Once gelatin has softened, add sugar and mint leaves. Stir to combine. Place over low heat for about 5 minutes, or until sugar is dissolved. Stir gently occasionally during this time. Do NOT let mixture boil. Gelatin will not set up right if it does.
- Pour through a fine-mesh sieve into the refrigerated bowl. Press on mint leaves to get any liquid out. Stir bourbon into the mixture.
- Divide mixture evenly between the 12 cups, using a small measuring cup or ladle to pour it in.
- Refrigerate until set.
- Beat heavy cream with an electric mixer until it starts to thicken. Add creme de menthe and powdered sugar and continue to beat until thick.
- Place a small spoonful of whipped cream on top of each jello shot and stick a small mint leaf in it.