Dark Chocolate Molten Lava Cobbler Cake with Toffee Bits
- 1 cup (125 grams) all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup (150 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons (10 grams) Dutch-processed cocoa powder (for batter)
- 2 teaspoons (10 grams) baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup (4 ounces) whole milk
- 4 tablespoons (56 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (43 grams) toffee bits
- ¼ cup (43 grams ) chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup (165 grams) packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup (21 grams) Dutch-processed cocoa powder (for topping)
- 1 ½ cups (12 ounces) boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and grease an 8×8” square baking pan or 8” cast iron skillet.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons (10 grams) of cocoa powder, baking powder, and kosher salt. Mix to combine so ingredients are evenly dispersed.
- Add the milk, melted butter, and vanilla extract to the dry ingredients and mix to combine.
- Add the toffee bits and chocolate chips and stir until incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan and smooth out with an offset spatula to ensure it is even.
- In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar and 1/4 cup (21 grams) of cocoa powder. Sprinkle it over the top of the batter in an even layer. Carefully pour the boiling water over the batter. Do NOT stir or mix it in.
- Bake for 40 minutes, rotating halfway through. The center should be slightly set and the bottom should be gooey like pudding. Transfer to a wire cooling rack and let cool in pan for 15 minutes to let it set. Serve warm with ice cream. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Better Homes and Gardens’ Brownie Pudding Cake