The best real Southern caramel cake on the web! If you want authentic Southern Caramel Cake, you must make this recipe.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature 2 sticks
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 6 large eggs room temperature
- 2 large egg yolks room temperature
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
For Aunt Bev’s Caramel Icing:
- 1 1/2 sticks butter
- 2 cans evaporated milk 12 ounces each
- 2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
For the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter, oil and sugar on high until fully incorporated and light and fluffy, about 5-6 minutes.
- Turn mixer to medium speed and mix in eggs and egg yolks one at a time until well incorporated.
- Add in vanilla extract and mix.
- Sift cake flour, baking powder and salt into a medium sized bowl.
- With mixer on slow speed, alternate adding in flour mixture and sour cream ending with flour mixture until mixed through.
- Do not over mix.
- Spray three 9 inch round cake pans with baking spray or grease and flour them.
- Pour batter into individual cake pans evenly.
- Bake in preheated oven for 23-30 minutes or until fully baked (but DON’T OVERBAKE THESE CAKES- CHECK THEM EARILER SO THEY DON’T DRY OUT).
- Remove cake pans from oven and cool on cooling racks for 10 minutes.
- Remove cakes from pans and wait until completely cooled to ice.
For the Caramel Icing:
- Add butter, evaporated milk, and sugar to saucepan over medium heat until everything has melted together.
- Leave over medium to low heat stirring periodically for about 1 1/2- 2 hours (watch the entire time to make sure it does not burn until thickened and caramel has darkened to a beautiful golden brown.
- Make sure that the caramel turns the color of the photo below before stopping the heat.
- It should also thickly coat the back of a spoon to ensure thickness.
- Be careful to watch, adjusting heat temperature to not let it burn.
- Remove from heat and add in vanilla extract.
- Cool for about 15-20 minutes to allow it to thicken before icing the cake.
Recipe adapted from grandbaby-cakes