These soft gluten free breadsticks are a homemade version of the famous Olive Garden breadsticks. Fluffy and soft inside, and covered in garlic butter.
- 4 1/4 cups (595 g) Gluten-Free Bread Flour,* plus more for sprinkling
- 2 teaspoons (6 g) instant yeast
- 2 tablespoons (24 g) sugar
- 2 teaspoons (12 g) kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons (84 g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons (11 fluid ounces, weighed) warm water (about 95°F)
- 3 tablespoons (42 g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
*GLUTEN FREE BREAD FLOUR
- Makes 1 cup (140 g) flour
- 100 grams (about 11 1/2 tablespoons) Better Batter gluten free flour (or my recipe for a homemade Better Batter blend) (71%)**
- 25 grams (about 5 tablespoons) unflavored whey protein isolate (18%)
- 15 grams (about 5 teaspoons) Expandex modified tapioca starch (11%)
**For the all-purpose gluten-free flour in Gluten-Free Bread Flour, use either the commercially available Better Batter all purpose gluten free flour blend, or my homemade mock version of Better Batter. I keep it simple and use Better Batter, and add the other 2 simple ingredients to it. For a calculator to do the math for you, click here.
If you are in the U.K., a product called “Isabel’s Baking Fix” is Expandex under a different name. It’s available online.
If you are in Canada, Ultratex 3 is available here. It is 3 times as strong as Expandex, so the formula for making the bread flour is changed. It is:
105 grams all purpose gluten free flour
30 grams unflavored whey protein isolate
5 grams Ultratex 3
- Make the dough: Place the flour, yeast, and sugar in the bowl of your stand mixer, and use a handheld whisk to combine well. Add the salt, and whisk to combine. Add the butter and water, and mix on low speed with the dough hook until combined. Raise the mixer speed to medium and knead for about 5 minutes. The dough will be quite sticky, but should be smooth and stretchy. Spray a silicone spatula lightly with cooking oil spray, and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Shape the dough: Line a rimmed baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper and set it aside. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth as described in These General Shaping Tips. Divide the dough into 12 pieces of equal size (each about 3 1/2 ounces).
- Get full recipe==>>glutenfreeonashoestring.com