Southern Ambrosia Salad is a creamy and sweet fruit salad flavored with shredded coconut. Recipes for it vary a great deal but it is a regular on the table for holidays like Easter and Christmas.
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 (20-ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained well
- 1 (15-ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained well
- 1 (12-ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups green grapes
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
- Using an electric mixer, beat heavy cream and powdered sugar until stiff peaks form. Stir in sour cream and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine pineapple, oranges, cherries, grapes, marshmallows, coconut, and pecans.
- Add the sour cream mixture and stir gently to mix evenly. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour before serving.