Southern Cornbread Salad is a magical combination of crumbled cornbread, bacon, beans, veggies, cheese, and Ranch dressing. This recipe feeds a crowd and is great for potlucks!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 medium Vidalia onion, finely diced
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen corn, cooked according to package drirections and cooled
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 10 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 packet Ranch dressing mix
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Whisk together flour, corn meal, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, oil, and eggs. Add to flour mixture and stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Pour batter into a greased 9-inch pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Cool completely.
- Combine all salad ingredients in a large bowl. Crumble cornbread into bowl.
- In a small bowl, stir together mayonnaise, sour cream, and Ranch mix. Add to bowl with cornbread mixture and toss to mix. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.