The ultimate Quesadillas recipe! These are brimming with two kinds of gooey melted cheese and a flavorful, fajita style chicken and sautéed pepper filling. Talk about delicious Mexican comfort food everyone will go crazy for!
Serve them with guacamole, salsa or pico de gallo to really take them over the top!
- 1 1/4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tsp olive oil, divided
- 2 cups chopped bell pepper (about 2, I use red and green)
- 2/3 cup chopped red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 6 (10-inch burrito size) flour tortillas
- 3 Tbsp butter, melted
- 6 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded (1 1/2 cups)
- 6 oz. monterrey jack cheese, shredded (1 1/2 cups)
- Guacamole, sour cream, pico de gallo or salsa, for serving (optional)
- Toss chicken with chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper (about 3/4 tsp salt 1/2 tsp pepper).
- Heat 2 tsp olive oil in 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook and turn occasionally until fully cooked through, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a medium mixing bowl.
- Heat remaining 2 tsp oil in same skillet. Add bell pepper and red onion and saute until tender, about 6 minutes, while adding in garlic during last 1 minute. Transfer to bowl with chicken, pour in lime and toss.
- Brush top side of tortillas with melted butter. Wipe skillet clean with paper towels, heat over medium heat. Toss cheeses together.
- Transfer one tortilla buttered side down to skillet. Working quickly sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese evenly over one half side of the tortilla then sprinkle with about 3/4 cup of the chicken mixture. Fold top half over, repeat with a second tortilla (you can fit two in the skillet at once).
- Let cook until golden brown on bottom about 2 minutes, then carefully turn to opposite side and continue to cook until golden brown on bottom.
- Repeat process with remaining tortillas, cheese and filling. Cut each quesadilla into 2 or 3 wedges. Serve warm with desired toppings.
- If you have time use freshly grated cheese as it will have the best flavor, but if you don’t have time a pre-shredded Mexican blend cheese will work here as well. Look for a package with the thicker shreds.