Enjoy this easy Low Carb Chile Relleno Casserole with no guilt! Ground beef and lots of peppers and cheese make for a satisfying meal.
This low carb chile relleno casserole will help you satisfy your Mexican food craving while watching your carb intake. This recipe calls for either canned or fresh peppers (whichever you have). I used diced green chiles because I had them in my pantry. I have also made this low carb casserole with fresh poblano peppers and they were awesome! I roasted them in the oven then let them steam and they were easily peeled. Also, I have made this with and without the ground beef and it’s great either way.
- 1/2 lb ground beef, lean
- 1/2 cup onions, diced
- 8 oz diced or whole roasted chiles or 2 fresh poblanos, roasted and peeled
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Brown ground beef with onion and sprinkle with salt and pepper as desired.
- In an 8 X 8 oven proof baking dish, layer chiles. Next add layer of ground beef onion mixture. Next add layer of cheddar and monterey jack cheese.
- Whisk together remaining ingredients then pour over casserole. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until mixture is set and cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Serve immediately with salsa and sour cream if desired.