- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- dash of salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter ,cut into small pieces
For the Apple filling:
- 3-4 large Granny Smith apples , peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 Tablespoons butter , melted
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- dash of salt
For serving (optional)
- vanilla Ice Cream
- Homemade Caramel Sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
For the topping:
- In a medium size bowl combine the crumb topping ingredients with a fork or pastry blender until it resembles small crumbs. Refrigerate while you prepare the apple filling.
For the Apple Filling:
- (I use a Johnny Apple Peeler to peel and slice the apples all at once. It makes the process a lot faster!)
- In a small bowl, combine melted butter and flour until well blended. Add lemon juice, milk and vanilla and stir well. Stir in brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
- Pour butter mixture over apples and toss to coat. Pour apple mixture into an 8×8-inch baking dish and spread into an even layer.
- Sprinkle crumb topping evenly over the apples.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and top is set.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with Vanilla Ice Cream and Homemade Caramel Sauce
- or try Caramel Pecan Apple Crisp!
This article and recipe adapted from this site