I usually find that I use cream of mushroom soup as ingredients in other dishes. For example, I use cream of chicken soup in my cheesy chicken and rice bake but you could just as easily use cream of mushroom and it would be delicious. For use IN a dish, you may want to chop the mushrooms into smaller pieces. Or not. It’s really a personal preference.
You can also enjoy it by itself, because it’s delicious and creamy and filling.
My version of cream of mushroom soup is low carb which makes it perfect for keto diet followers, but those who don’t follow a low carb diet won’t even notice the changes I made to make it low carb. My family didn’t.
- 4 tbsp salted butter
- 16 oz mushrooms sliced
- 1 tbsp dehydrated minced onion
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 4 tsp arrowroot
- 8 tsp water
- In a large pot or dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add mushrooms, stirring frequently, saute for 8-10 minutes.
- Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Add seasonings and heavy cream and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low.
- Make a slurry with the arrowroot and water (mix them together and stir until smooth).
- Simmer for about 12-15 minutes, then add the arrowroot to the soup and stir. The sauce should thicken immediately, remove from heat.