Quick ‘n easy BAKED Mushroom Rice! It’s buttery, garlicky, with golden brown juicy mushrooms and the rice is beautifully fluffy. Baked in one pan, the idea behind this recipe is that the gorgeous mushroom juice drips into the rice as it bakes – the best broth base ever!
The oven baked version of the wildly popular Mushroom Rice! The idea behind this recipe is that the mushrooms act as a “lid” over the rice as it bakes, and the mushroom juices drip into the rice – best broth ever! The rice is FLUFFY, garlicky and buttery, and the mushrooms are golden brown and juicy inside.
- 650 g / 1.3 lb mushrooms , quartered (Note 1)
- 50 g / 3.5 tbsp butter , melted (hot, not cooled)
- 2 – 3 garlic cloves , minced (I use 3 – nice and garlicky!)
- Salt and pepper
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups long grain rice , uncooked
- 1 1/2 cups / 375 ml chicken or vegetable broth , low sodium
- 1 1/4 cups / 315 ml water
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 shallots / green onions / scallions , finely sliced
- 1 – 2 tbsp butter , optional
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Place mushrooms in a large bowl. Pour over hot melted butter, add garlic, salt and pepper. Toss well.
- Place all the Rice ingredients in a baking pan – 22 x 33 cm / 9 x 13″. Mine is 30 x 24 cm / 12 x 9.5″ – don’t need to be exact here, but don’t stray too much from pan size.
- Mix and shake the pan to spread the rice out evenly.
- Spread the mushrooms over the rice – they will be partially submerged but should pretty much cover the whole surface area (to be the “lid” while the rice cooks).
- Drizzle over olive oil.
- Bake for 35 – 40 minutes or until mushroom is golden. Remove from oven and rest for 5 minutes.
- Finishes: Add extra butter (if using) and scallions. Toss through rice. Serve!
- Perfect quantity of mushrooms is when they cover the surface area in a single layer. That way, they will act as a “lid” for the rice as it cooks, then as the mushroom shrinks it allows most of it to brown (the part touching the rice doesn’t brown).
- If you have large mushrooms, about the size of a golf ball, you can use up to 750g / 1.5 lb because there will be less mushrooms (by quantity, not weight) so less covering the surface.
- If the mushrooms are piled up too high, they won’t brown as much and also the rice will be on the soft side because less liquid will evaporate from the rice as it cooks (because of the mushrooms covering the surface area).
- RICE TYPE: This recipe is best made with long grain rice because it’s less sticky than short and medium grain. Basmati and jasmine will also work – around the same cook time. Medium and short grain rice will work but the rice will be a bit stickier (because that’s how short grain rice is).
- Risotto and paella rice is not suitable. For BROWN RICE, do not top with mushrooms at the beginning. Cover with foil, bake for 30 minutes. Then remove foil, top with mushrooms and bake uncovered 30 – 35 minutes until mushroom is golden. I haven’t tried this recipe with quinoa or cauliflower rice.
- SERVINGS: Serves 6 to 8 as a side.